Assisi, Perugia, Umbria, Italy
Agent: Giovanni Conti - (Italy, North and East Africa, Sri Lanka)
Agent Cellphone: +27 84 413 1071
Agent Office Number: +27 84 413 1071
Agent Email Address: email@example.com
Type: Heritage Boutique Hotel
Yield: Not Disclosed
Assisi (/əˈsiːsi/, also US: /-iːzi, əˈsɪsi, -ɪzi/, Italian: [asˈsiːzi]; from Latin: Asisium) is a town and comune of Italy in the Province of Perugia in the Umbria region, on the western flank of Monte Subasio.
It is generally regarded as the birthplace of the Latin poet Propertius, born around 50–45 BC. It is the birthplace of St. Francis, who founded the Franciscan religious order in the town in 1208, and St. Clare (Chiara d'Offreducci), the founder of the Poor Sisters, which later became the Order of Poor Clares after her death. The 19th-century Saint Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows was also born in Assisi.
Around 1000 BC a wave of immigrants settled in the upper Tiber valley as far as the Adriatic Sea, and also in the neighbourhood of Assisi.These were the Umbrians, living in small fortified settlements on high ground. From 450 BC these settlements were gradually taken over by the Etruscans. The Romans took control of central Italy after the Battle of Sentinum in 295 BC. They built the flourishing municipium Asisium on a series of terraces on Monte Subasio. Roman remains can still be found in Assisi: city walls, the forum (now Piazza del Comune), a theatre, an amphitheatre and the Temple of Minerva (now transformed into the Church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva). In 1997, the remains of a Roman villa were also discovered containing several well-preserved rooms with frescoes and mosaics in a condition rarely found outside sites such as Pompei.
In 238 AD Assisi was converted to Christianity by bishop Rufino, who was martyred at Costano. According to tradition, his remains rest in the Cathedral Church of San Rufino in Assisi.
The Ostrogoths of king Totila destroyed most of the town in 545. Assisi then came under the rule of the Lombards as part of the Lombard and then Frankish Duchy of Spoleto.
The thriving commune became an independent Ghibelline commune in the 11th century. Constantly struggling with the Guelph Perugia, it was during one of those battles, the battle at Ponte San Giovanni, that Francesco di Bernardone (Saint Francis of Assisi) was taken prisoner, setting in motion the events that eventually led him to live as a beggar, renounce the world and establish the Order of Friars Minor.
The city, which had remained within the confines of the Roman walls, began to expand outside these walls in the 13th century. In this period the city was under papal jurisdiction. The Rocca Maggiore, the imperial fortress on top of the hill above the city, which had been plundered by the people in 1189, was rebuilt in 1367 on orders of the papal legate, cardinal Gil de Albornoz.
In the beginning, Assisi fell under the rule of Perugia and later under several despots, such as the soldier of fortune Biordo Michelotti, Gian Galeazzo Visconti and his successor Francesco I Sforza, dukes of Milan, Jacopo Piccinino and Federico II da Montefeltro, lord of Urbino. The city went into a deep decline through the plague of the Black Death in 1348.
The city came again under papal jurisdiction under the rule of Pope Pius II (1458–1464).
In 1569 construction was started of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli. During the Renaissance and in later centuries, the city continued to develop peacefully, as the 17th-century palazzi of the Bernabei and Giacobetti attest.
Now the site of many a pilgrimage, Assisi is linked in legend with its native son, St. Francis. The gentle saint founded the Franciscan order and shares honors with St. Catherine of Siena as the patron saint of Italy. He is remembered by many, even non-Christians, as a lover of nature (his preaching to an audience of birds is one of the legends of his life
Assisi was hit by two devastating earthquakes, that shook Umbria in September 1997. But the recovery and restoration have been remarkable, although much remains to be done. Massive damage was caused to many historical sites, but the major attraction, the Basilica di San Francesco, reopened less than 2 years later.
UNESCO collectively designated the Franciscan structures of Assisi as a World Heritage Site in 2000.
The town is dominated by two medieval castles. The larger, called Rocca Maggiore, is a massive reconstruction by Cardinal Albornoz (1366) and expanded by popes Pius II (polygonal tower, 1458) and Paul III (the cylindrical bastion near the entrance, 1535-1538). The smaller of the two was built in Roman era: it has been only partially reserved, a small portion and three towers being open to the public.
Other sights include:
Artists Pietro Lorenzetti and Simone Martini worked shoulder to shoulder at Assisi. The Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi includes a number of artistic works. Simone Martini's 1317 fresco there reflects the influence of Giotto in realism and the use of brilliant colors. Lorenzetti's fresco at the lower church of the Basilica includes a series of panels depicting the Crucifixion of Jesus, Deposition from the Cross, and Entombment of Christ. The figures Lorenzetti painted display emotions, yet the figures in these scenes are governed by geometric emotional interactions, unlike many prior depictions which appeared to be independent iconic aggregations. Lorenzetti's 1330 Madonna dei Tramonti also reflects the ongoing influence of Giotto on his Marian art, midway through his career.
Assisi Embroidery is a form of counted thread embroidery which has been practiced in Assisi since the 13th century.
One such group has restored an 11th-century room and added altars to the world's religions. Other organizations, such as Assisi Performing Arts, complement Assisi's tranquility with music and other cultural events.
Assisi was the home of several saints. They include:
Assisi railway station, opened in 1866, forms part of the Foligno–Terontola railway, which also links Florence with Rome. The station is located at Piazza Dante Alighieri, in the frazione of Santa Maria degli Angeli, about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) southwest of the city centre.
At the beginning of the 20th century, around the central body, parts of the building were added by the farmers who lived there without thereby distorting its grandeur. From the east side, where the internal courtyard is located, it is still possible to admire the majesty of the Tower with its spur base, while, from the south side, on the current door leading to the terrace, a medieval arch stands out throughout its splendour.
The tower dominates the valley which in the early hours of the morning is filled with white clouds, hence the name of Valbiancara; the area is a destination for lovers of walking and cycling with kilometers of practicable paths, it is located just 7 km from the historic center of Perugia, reachable in 10 minutes by car, and only 20km from Assisi.
Town Planning Situation
Authorization of use by the municipal urban planning tool. There is conformity of the construction with the authorizations or administrative concessions and certification of viability. The restructuring of the asset was carried out with regular building permits and subsequent ones variations in progress, which have prevented their use at Country House. The building it’s placed within an area subject to the protection of Legislative Decree n. 42 (panoramic and aesthetic value). On 11 August 2010, following a regular request, the Certificate of Eligibility was obtained.
The building in question has considerable historical and architectural value, being a medieval tower (former watchtower dating back to before the year 1000), and has assumed a considerably greater value thanks to the renovation works carried out.
It has a net area of 416.54 square meters (4483.599ft²), a gross area of 649.19 sqm (6987.823ft²), a surface for balconies and terrace of 11.20 sqm (120.5558ft²), a surface of common courtyards of 287.00 sqm (3089.242ft²) and a variable height of the rooms that go from 2.70 m to 3.95 m. (from 8 feet to 12 feet).
The property also has a land of about 700sqm (7534.737ft²) with a small cubature on which it is possible to build a swimming pool adjacent to the structure.
The building consists of a single real estate unit on four floors above ground and is divided into five units, one of which is used as a restaurant and services and the other four, for residential units intended for Country House.
Exterior & Interiors Status & Furniture
With regard to the maintenance, functional and conservative state of the historic property, it can be considered "excellent", and for the wall structures and for the state of conservation of the finishes.
The recent renovations have restored the medieval tower its aesthetic dignity, fitting correctly in the environmental context, respecting its typicality in the external masonry walls with styled lime joints, in the coverings and typology of the external fixtures and, in general, in full respect for the historicity of the building, while fully restoring its functionality.
Even the works carried out inside the tower were carried out in full respect of the historicity of the tower, but at the same time, a careful design was adopted that made the spaces functional, with the creation of five distinct units.
All systems, certified by legislation, have been built from scratch, and all aesthetic details have been taken care of regarding the finishing works, such as painting, interior fixtures, flooring, wall coverings and toilets.
Last but not least, all the rooms are finely furnished. The structure consists of:
Extra Hotel Tourist Use - Country House
The structure is sold as well as completely renovated and finely furnished, also with all the licenses to be changed for the takeover of extra hotel type (B&B - Guest House - Country House type Holiday House) and Catering. Some Tripadvisor customer reviews:
✓ When the charm of structural conservation of 1000 years ago is combined with traditional style, simplicity becomes excellence. Time is relative while gastronomic pleasure becomes a constant and sublime certainty "LA" Taverna for Excellence where each single dish accompanied by the respective DOC wine has a story to tell, thus creating a spectacular, unique and fascinating tasting journey that starts from the origins of the past to get to the present with simple genius !!! Impeccable service and a wonderful location are the settings for an immensely "UNIQUE" kitchen. What to say, just nothing, try it to believe it.
✓ A magnificent discovery! Recently opened ... we dined in a warm and romantic location ... gourmet cuisine of the highest level ... from appetizers to desserts (delicious chilli chocolate mousse)
✓ Torre Valbiancara gourmet tavern is a very high-quality restaurant entrusted to the excellent qualities of Chef Alceo Morini. It is located inside a beautiful and elegant watchtower from the year 1000 AD. also used as a Country House. The menu is refined and simple at the same time. It was really difficult for us to choose from the many suggested proposals, and therefore we have already decided to come back as soon as possible to try other tempting dishes. Excellent choice of wines and spirits. Everything is offered at an absolutely affordable price in relation to the guaranteed quality. It was ultimately a fantastic evening, a way to escape from the hectic everyday life to immerse yourself in a timeless place.
The surface of the kitchen is 55sqm (592.0150ft²) and includes all new equipment with 1 year of life, made as a whole by a specialized company appointed for this purpose.
The surface of the restaurant hall (divided into 3 rooms with independent entrances) is 86 sqm (925.6963ft²9, it is sold fully furnished and has an outdoor area.
Also on the ground floor are the laundry facilities, service bathroom and bathroom for the disabled.
The Country Houses
The building insists on an external courtyard of exclusive relevance.
The structure includes 4 independent and fully furnished apartments as follows:
Cliff Jacobs (Nat Dpl Hotel Man (UJ). MPRE. GA Level 5 TEFL) Managing Principal / CEO Exquisite Hotel Consultants (Pty) Ltd Mobile: +27 (0) 84 413 1071 / +27 (0) 61 716 6951 Landline: +27 (0) 21 554 0283 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: https://www.exquisitehotelconsultants.com C/o Sybelstrasse 69 10629 Berlin GERMANY Terms and Conditions apply Scroll down to view our Hospitality Properties and Businesses for sale or lease or lease-to-buy or partnership arrangement or management agreement arrangement
Cliff Jacobs (Nat Dpl Hotel Man (UJ). MPRE. GA Level 5 TEFL)
Managing Principal / CEO
Exquisite Hotel Consultants (Pty) Ltd
Mobile: +27 (0) 84 413 1071 / +27 (0) 61 716 6951
Landline: +27 (0) 21 554 0283
C/o Sybelstrasse 69
Terms and Conditions apply
Scroll down to view our Hospitality Properties and Businesses for sale or lease or lease-to-buy or partnership arrangement or management agreement arrangement