Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, United States of America
Agent: Cliff Jacobs - Managing Principal Estate Agent & CEO (Nat.Dpl.Hotel Man (UJ). M.P.R.E.)
Agent Cellphone: +27 (0) 84 413 1071 / +27 (0) 61 716 6951
Agent Office Number: +27 (0) 21 554 0283
Agent Email Address: email@example.com
Type: Boutique Hotel
Yield: Not Disclosed
Sevierville is a city in and the county seat of Sevier County, Tennessee, located in eastern Tennessee. The population was 14,807 at the 2010 United States Census and 17,117 according to the 2019 census estimate.
Tennessee Historical Commission sign marking the site of the McMahan Indian Mound, 1200-1500 A.D.
Native Americans of the Woodland period were among the first human inhabitants of what is now Sevierville. They arrived some time around 200 A.D. and lived in villages scattered around the area known as Forks-of-the-River.
Between 1200 and 1500 A.D., during the Dallas Phase of the Mississippian period, a group of Native Americans established McMahan Mound Site, a relatively large village centered on a platform mound and surrounded by a palisade just above the confluence of the West Fork and the Little Pigeon River. This mound was approximately 16 feet (5 m) high and 240 feet (73 m) across. An excavation in 1881 unearthed burial sites, arrowheads, a marble pipe, glass beads, pottery, and engraved objects. At the time of this first excavation, the mound was located on a farm owned by the McMahan family, and was thus given the name "McMahan Indian Mound."
By the early 18th century, the Cherokee controlled much of the Tennessee side of the Smokies and had established a series of settlements along the Little Tennessee River. A section of the Great Indian Warpath forked at the mouth of Boyd's Creek, just north of Sevierville. The main branch crossed the French Broad and continued along Dumplin Creek to the Nolichucky basin in northeastern Tennessee. The other branch, known as the Tuckaleechee and Southeastern Trail, turned south along the West Fork of the Little Pigeon River. This second branch forked again at modern-day Pigeon Forge, with the main trail turning east en route to Little River and the other branch, known as Indian Gap Trail, crossing the crest of the Smokies to the south and descending into the Oconaluftee area of North Carolina. The various Cherokee trails crossing Sevier County brought the first Euro-American traders and settlers to the area.
Early Euro-American settlement
European long hunters and traders arrived in the Sevierville area in the mid-18th century. Isaac Thomas (c. 1735–1818), the most notable of these early traders, was well respected by the Cherokee and may have lived at the Overhill town of Chota at one time. Europeans like Thomas were mainly in the area in search of animal furs, which they exchanged for manufactured goods.
As settlers began to trickle into East Tennessee, relations with the Cherokee began to turn hostile. During the Revolutionary War, the Cherokee, who had aligned themselves with the British, launched sporadic attacks against the sparse settlements in the Tennessee Valley. In December 1780, Col. John Sevier, fresh off a victory against the British at King's Mountain, launched a punitive expedition against the Cherokee. Sevier defeated the Cherokee at the Battle of Boyd's Creek and proceeded to destroy several Cherokee settlements along the Little Tennessee.
A temporary truce secured by James White in 1783 led to an influx of Euro-American settlers in the French Broad valley. Hugh Henry (1756–1838) erected a small fort near the mouth of Dumplin Creek in 1782 known as Henry's Station. He was joined the following year by Samuel Newell (1754–1841), who established Newell's Station along Boyd's Creek, and Joshua Gist, who settled near the creek's mouth. Other early forts in the area included Willson's Station at the confluence of the East and Middle Fork of the Little Pigeon and Wear's Fort at the junction of the Southeastern and Tuckaleechee Trail and Indian Gap Trail. The Cherokee signed away all rights to what is now Sevier County in the 1785 Treaty of Dumplin Creek, which was negotiated at Henry's Station.
In 1783, Isaac Thomas established a farm, trading post, and tavern at the confluence of the West Fork and the Little Pigeon River. He was joined shortly thereafter by Spencer Clack (1740–1832) and James McMahan, and a community known as "Forks of the Little Pigeon" developed around them. In 1789, Reverend Richard Wood (1756–1831) established Forks-of-the-River Baptist Church, which reported a congregation of 22 in 1790. By 1795, the congregation had 94 members.
Sevier County was created in 1794 and named after John Sevier. At a meeting at Thomas' house the following year, the Forks-of-the-Little-Pigeon area was chosen as the county seat and renamed "Sevierville." James McMahan donated a 25-acre (100,000 m2) tract of land for erecting a town square. This tract was parceled out into lots of 0.5 acres (2,000 m2) that purchasers were required to build brick, framed, or stone structures on.
The first Sevier County Courthouse was built in 1796. According to local legend, court was held in a flea-infested abandoned stable before its construction. The lore suggests that irritated lawyers paid an unknown person a bottle of whiskey to burn down the stable, forcing the new county to build an actual courthouse.
As the county grew, several large farms were established in the fertile Boyd's Creek area. In 1792, Andrew Evans purchased a tract of land near the mouth of Boyd's Creek and built a ferry near the site of the old ford. In 1798, he sold the farm to John Brabson, and it became known as Brabson's Ferry Plantation. In the early 1790s, Thomas Buckingham established a large farm between Boyd's Creek and Sevierville. He went on to become the county's first sheriff. In the early 19th century, Timothy Chandler and his son, John Chandler (1786–1875), established the Wheatlands plantation in Boyd's Creek.
As towns situated along the French Broad are connected via waterway to New Orleans, flatboat trade flourished along the river in the early 19th century. In 1793, James Hubbert, who lived along Dumplin Creek, established Hubbert's Flat Landing to trade with flatboats moving up and down the river.
In the early 19th century, Knoxville and Asheville were connected via Route 17, a crude road that followed the banks of the French Broad. This new road gave Tennessee's cattle drovers greater access to markets along the east coast. In 1820, a stagecoach road connected Sevierville with Maryville to the west. Sevierville's status as a county seat along these early roads helped it grow. By 1833, the town had a population of 150, including two doctors, two carpenters, a tanner, two tailors, a shoemaker, three stores, a hatter, two taverns, and two mills. Distilleries were popular means of supplemental income. By 1850, John Chandler's distillery was producing 6,000 gallons of whiskey per year.
A notable late arrival in Sevierville was Dr. Robert H. Hodsden (1806–1864), who was an attending physician for the Trail of Tears. In 1846, Hodsden began construction on a plantation near Fair Garden, just outside Sevierville to the east. Known as Rose Glen, this plantation was worth $28,000 in 1860, making it one of the most valuable in the county.
In 1856, a fire swept through Sevierville, burning a recently constructed courthouse, 41 houses, and several shops in the downtown area. The county lost nearly all of the vital records of its early settlers.
The Civil War
Slavery was not common in Sevier County, although it did occur, especially at the large plantations along the French Broad River. Even before the American Civil War, Sevierville – a hotbed of abolitionist activity – was home to a relatively large community of free African-Americans. In 1861, only 3.8% of the residents of Sevier County voted in favor of secession from the Union.
In late 1861, a pro-secession speech delivered by Henry Foote sparked an angry response in Sevierville and was followed by a series of explosive anti-secession speeches. The following year, pro-Union Knoxville newspaper editor Parson Brownlow gave a rousing anti-secession speech in Sevierville en route to a hideout in Wears Valley. Brownlow's audience remained gathered throughout the night after a rumor spread that Confederate forces were approaching. Union supporters in Sevier County were harassed and threatened throughout the war, even after Union forces under Ambrose Burnside occupied Knoxville in September 1863.
Sevierville, situated at a major crossroads south of Knoxville, suffered consistent harassment, looting, and confiscation of property by both Union and Confederate forces moving through the town in 1863 and 1864. Vance Newman, a Union recruiting officer living in Sevierville at the time, later recalled:
A guard of rebel soldiers in 1864 threatened to burn my house, and the rebel soldiers so often threatened to take my life that I cannot particularize. They were always after me because of my Union sentiments.
After Confederate General James Longstreet failed to retake Knoxville in the Battle of Fort Sanders, Union and Confederate forces quickly initiated a series of maneuvers to gain control of the strategic fords along the French Broad, culminating in an engagement near Hodsden's farm at Fair Garden in January 1864. Although the Union forces were victorious, they were later forced to retreat due to lack of supplies. A state of general anarchy ensued that continued until the end of the war. On October 30, 1864, Sevierville resident Terressa McCown wrote in her diary:
The robbers have come at last, they robbed my husband of his pocketbook, money and papers and pocket knife. Times get worse everyday. We know not what will come next. I feel this morning like nothing but destruction awaits us.
At the war's end, most of the county's few remaining Confederate sympathizers, most notably members of the Brabson family, were forced to flee.
Sevierville recovered quickly from the war, with a number of new houses and businesses being built in the 1870s. Two members of the town's African-American community — house builder Lewis Buckner (1856–1924) and brickmason Isaac Dockery (1832–1910) — played a prominent role in Sevierville's post-war construction boom. Buckner designed a number of houses in the Sevierville area over a 40-year period, 15 of which are still standing. Dockery's contributions include the New Salem Baptist Church in 1886 and the Sevier County Courthouse in 1896, both of which are still standing.
By the 1880s, Sevierville was growing rapidly, as was the population of Sevier County. In 1887, the town had four general stores, two groceries, a jeweler, a sawmill, and two hotels. It was also home to the Sevierville Lumber Company, which was established to harvest trees in the area. Tourists also started to trickle into Sevier County, drawn by the reported health-restoring qualities of mountain springs. Resorts sprang up throughout the county, with Seaton Springs and Henderson Springs located just south of Sevierville.
In 1892, a vigilante group known as the "Whitecaps" was formed to rid Sevier County of vice. The group wore white hoods to conceal their identities and used Ku Klux Klan-like tactics, although they were not considered a racist entity. The Whitecaps initially threatened women accused of prostitution, and the group began launching nightly attacks in the mid-1890s. In 1893, Sevierville physician J.A. Henderson took over an anti-Whitecap group, which he renamed the "Blue Bills." The two vigilante groups clashed at Henderson Springs in 1894, with deaths occurring on both sides. In 1896, the Whitecaps' murder of a young Sevierville couple led to widespread outrage, and in 1898, the Tennessee State Legislature banned "extra-legal conspiracies" and vigilante groups. Due to this measure and the efforts of Sevier County Deputy Sheriff Thomas Davis, the Whitecaps largely vanished by the end of the century.
After a fire destroyed much of the downtown area in 1900, businesses shifted from the old town square at Main Street to the new Sevierville Commercial District, viz. Court Avenue and Bruce Street, which centered on the new courthouse.The town was incorporated in 1901.
In 1910, Indiana entrepreneur William J. Oliver finished work on the Knoxville, Sevierville and Eastern Railroad, which was Sevier County's first standard gauge rail line. Known as the Smoky Mountain Railroad, this line offered passenger service between Knoxville and Sevierville until 1962.
With the opening of Great Smoky Mountains National Park in 1934, tens of thousands of tourists began passing through Sevierville, which was situated about halfway between the park and Knoxville. U.S. 441, initially known as Smoky Mountain Highway, was completed to Sevierville in 1934 and later extended to North Carolina.
Entertainer Dolly Parton was born in Sevierville in 1946. Her Parton ancestors had migrated to Greenbrier sometime around 1850 and later moved to Locust Ridge (near Pittman Center), where Parton was born, after the establishment of the national park. In more recent years, the town erected a statue of Parton on the lawn of the courthouse and named Dolly Parton Parkway after her.
Much of Cormac McCarthy's 1973 novel Child of God takes place in Sevierville and the surrounding area.
At our Lodge, you can expect relaxing luxury and first-class service. Our secluded scenic Smoky Mountain Resort hideaway offers a relaxing tranquil romantic retreat that is only minutes from the Smoky Mountain National Park, Dollywood, hiking, shopping, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, horseback riding and much much more.
Awards and Accolades
2008 USA Today
"10 great places to settle into for fall viewing"
2006 Columbus Dispatch
"Mountains of Comfort & plenty of creature comforts"
2006 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"Discover a glamorous side of the Smokies"
2005 Blue Ridge Country
"Tennessee's Berry Springs Lodge Gives the Gift of Trees"
2004 Arrington's Inn Traveller
"Best Scenic Mount View"
2003 Arrington's Inn Traveller
"Best Inn for Rest and Relaxation"
2002 Arrington's Inn Traveller
"Best Inn for Rest and Relaxation"
2001 The Union News-Leader
"A Place to Unwind"
2001 Better Bed and Breakfasts
"Enjoy the Best of Both Worlds"
Our Lodge is a relaxing Gatlinburg Tennessee resort lodge retreat intended for guests that are looking for a quiet romantic getaway in the Great Smoky Mountains.
The living room of the lodge has a massive pine and stone structure. It is furnished in country elegance with large windows to enjoy the wildflowers proliferating in spring. When 2,000 square feet of living and dining space inside aren’t enough, rockers on the huge deck allow folks to sit and absorb the serene mountain views.
Overnight accommodations include everything imaginable to assure guests’ comfort and keep them coming back to Berry Springs Lodge. It is not enough that all rooms are scrupulously clean, have high-quality linens, private baths, TVs, balconies or patios as well as individual climate controls. These amenities just underscore the benefits of a newer establishment. Each of the eleven rooms and two suites has a color and flavor all its own to guarantee a romantic and/or peaceful interlude in this beautiful part of the country! All of the bathrooms cater to upscale guests with good lighting, hairdryers, showers, irons and ironing boards.
In keeping with the inn’s name, all of the rooms have the word, “springs” in their names.
The Hideaway Springs Suite with an intimate whirlpool tub in a cove off the living room. Golden walls, a stone fireplace and a comfortable seating area are a few features in this suite. Lamps for bedtime reading surround the comfortable, king spindle bed in the sequestered master bedroom.
The Blackberry Springs Suite is painted light ivy to create a soft, “country elegant” atmosphere. The whirlpool is en suite with the carved mahogany rice bed nearby. A spacious bathroom with double sinks, a cosy living room with fireplace, table and chairs, and a private deck are amenities in this guest suite.
The Raspberry Springs Room faces Bluff Mountain, and sunsets are sublime when viewed from its private balcony. Inside, tall “mountain men” will appreciate the vaulted ceiling and king-sized pencil poster bed as well as the fireplace for cool evenings. Likewise, the Royal Springs Room has a vaulted ceiling, a fireplace and mountain views from the balcony. A silky, gold comforter on the king-sized mahogany rice bed makes this one fit for royalty.
The Crystal Springs Room is located on the west side on the first floor and has a queen shaker-style bed topped with a beige jacquard quilt. It also has a King Hickory upholstered chair for lounging, reading or watching tv. The room also has an oak rocker for rocking your cares away. This room has a private bath and balcony. (50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI) One of the best places to stay In Gatlinburg TN.
The Powder Springs Room is also located on the 1st floor west side. It has a 4 poster queen bed with a floral theme comforter in pinks, light blues and sunny yellows. The furniture is whitewashed for a cottage look. The desk is great for applying make-up or using your computer. It also has an upholstered king hickory chair for relaxing and an oak rocker for listening to soft music. This room has a private bath and balcony. (TV, DVD, and WI-FI).
The Royal Springs Room is an end room on the second floor west side of the Lodge. It has a king rice poster bed draped in shades of the brown oversized quilt. The patio doors have handmade drapes of beige and strawberry vines. This room has 2 upholstered chairs for tv viewing or just reading a book to relax. There is a private bath, balcony, fireplace, deck, 50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI. These Romantic king rooms with balconies provide spectacular lodging in Pigeon Forge TN.
The Maple Springs Room is on the 1st floor and has a King size rustic pine bed covered in a brown patchwork quilt with a view of the sunrise over the mountains. A stack stone gas log fireplace, beautiful wood flooring and a cozy love seat for viewing tv. A rustic oak desk and dresser. The private spacious bathroom has a large 5-foot custom-crafted granite vanity and tile shower. This room has a private bath, deck, fireplace, 50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI. Smoky Mountain lodging with king rooms large balconies and fireplaces.
The Buffalo Springs Room is on the 2nd floor and has a king-size rustic pine bed covered in a red and black buffalo check quilt with a sunrise view of the mountains. Plush carpet floor with two swivel soft leather chairs for watching tv or just reading. A private large bathroom with a 5-foot custom crafter granite and oak vanity and a large tile shower. A stack stone gas log fireplace, rustic oak desk and dresser. This room has a private bath, deck, fireplace, 50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI.
The Autumn Springs Room has a real Smoky Mountain feel. It is located on the first floor with a sunrise view. You can rest comfortably in a king shaker-style bed with a colorful pattern of wildlife. The love seat and rocker are ideal for relaxing. This room has a private bath/tub shower combo, deck, fireplace, 50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI.
The Honeysuckle Springs Room has a soft lavender color with a king rice poster bed covered in an olive green comforter and a floral theme. There is an upholstered chair and an oak rocker for relaxing by the fireplace or viewing TV. This room has a private bath, balcony, hot tub, fireplace, 50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI. Romantic getaways in Tennessee with king rooms large private balconies and hot tubs.
The Colorado Springs Room is more rustic with deep green walls and a checkered quilt. Enjoy the love seat while viewing TV or reading a good book. There is an oak rocker to view the mountains while listening to the sounds of nature. This room has a private bath, balcony, hot tub, fireplace, 50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI.
The Newberry Springs Room has a soothing pale peach color theme, an iron king bed with a creamy green quilt, an upholstered floral chair and an oak rocker. This room has a private bath, balcony, hot tub, fireplace, 50" Roku TV, DVD, and WI-FI.
The Holly Springs Room with a seductive red color theme with a king canopy bed covered in a checkered quilt. The upholstered chair for reading and an oak rocker for relaxing. This room has a private bath, balcony, hot tub, fireplace, TV, DVD, and WI-FI
Food and Beverages
Breakfast at the Lodge!
We serve breakfast each morning in our dining room from 8.00am to 9.30am. You are welcome to sit at an intimate table for two, or at the large group table in the center of the dining room. We serve a filling country gourmet Gatlinburg breakfast each morning, but if something lighter is appealing, try our fresh fruit plate or baked old-fashioned oatmeal.
A sampling of possible dining experiences!
Cliff Jacobs (Nat Dpl Hotel Man (UJ). MPRE. GA Level 5 TEFL) Managing Principal / CEO Exquisite Hotel Consultants (Pty) Ltd Mobile: +27 (0) 84 413 1071 / +27 (0) 61 716 6951 Landline: +27 (0) 21 554 0283 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: https://www.exquisitehotelconsultants.com C/o Sybelstrasse 69 10629 Berlin GERMANY Terms and Conditions apply Scroll down to view our Hospitality Properties and Businesses for sale or lease or lease-to-buy or partnership arrangement or management agreement arrangement
Cliff Jacobs (Nat Dpl Hotel Man (UJ). MPRE. GA Level 5 TEFL)
Managing Principal / CEO
Exquisite Hotel Consultants (Pty) Ltd
Mobile: +27 (0) 84 413 1071 / +27 (0) 61 716 6951
Landline: +27 (0) 21 554 0283
C/o Sybelstrasse 69
Terms and Conditions apply
Scroll down to view our Hospitality Properties and Businesses for sale or lease or lease-to-buy or partnership arrangement or management agreement arrangement