KwaDukuza (Stanger), Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa
Agent: Cliff Jacobs - Managing Principal Estate Agent & CEO (Nat.Dpl.Hotel Man (UJ). M.P.R.E.)
Agent Cellphone: +27 (0) 84 413 1071 / +27 (0) 61 716 6951
Agent Office Number: +27 (0) 21 554 0283
Agent Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Type: Heritage Boutique Hotel
Yield: Not Disclosed
(formerly known as Stanger) is a city in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. In 2006, its official name was changed from Stanger to KwaDukuza, but the Zulu people in the area called it "Dukuza" well before then, and many South Africans still use the name "Stanger" (see below). "Stanger" has also been used on new road signs in the area.
The city has been under major economical construction since 2015, having built a multi-million rand regional shopping mall in 2018.
The city was named to honour William Stanger, a surveyor-general in South Africa. In 2006, the Minister of Arts and Culture approved a name change from Stanger to KwaDukuza, which was published in the Government Gazette of South Africa on 3 March 2006.
The city was founded about 1820 by King Shaka and was named KwaDukuza (Zulu: Place of the Lost Person) because of the capital's labyrinth of huts. After Shaka was assassinated on 22 September 1828 during a coup by two of his half-brothers, Dingane and Umthlangana (Mhlangane), the city was burnt to the ground. In 1873, European settlers built a town on the site, naming it Stanger after William Stanger, the surveyor-general of Natal.
Stanger became a municipality in 1949 and is the commercial, magisterial and railway center of an important sugar-producing district. A small museum adjoins the site of Shaka's grave, a grain pit in the city center. The city and its vibrant inhabitants are surrounded by sugar cane fields, bush and the mahogany tree where Shaka held meetings, which still stands in front of the municipal offices. The Shaka Day festival, a colorful ceremony of 10,000 or more Zulus, is held at the KwaDukuza Recreation Grounds on 24 September every year. The festival is usually attended by dignitaries to mark the significance of the Zulu nation.
The Stanger North Coast Museum houses historical items and information on Shaka, the sugar industry and local history. The city has a South Asian influence because of the influx of labourers from India in the late 19th and the early 20th centuries for sugarcane barons, such as Liege Hulett. The first few hundred Indian families left Port Natal for the cane farms on 17 November 1860. The importation of Indian labourers was stopped in 1911, when their numbers exceeded 100,000. Most Indians did not return when their work contracts expired, but exchanged their return-trip passes for money or property. The growth of the Indian community changed the economic and cultural nature of the city and has successfully developed it into what it is today. Celebrations include Diwali and the Winter Fair, the latter being a fundraiser for child welfare.
In July, 2021, the city was significantly impacted by large scale looting, vandalism, property damage and civil unrest caused during the 2021 South African unrest, much to the dismay of the Indian population.
The highest record temperature was 43 °C (109 °F) on February 3, 2008, and the lowest record temperature was 5 °C (41 °F) on June 12, 2013.
This recently renovated magnificent colonial estate is recognised as a Heritage Site and once housed the original College. The estate is situated 80km from Durban on the KwaZulu Natal North Coast.
Sir James Leige Hulett - A Brief History
James Liege Hulett arrived in Durban at the end of May 1857, aboard the Lady Shelbourne with 20 pounds and an offer of a position with a chemist Mr. Burgess, a friend of his father.
In 1860 he advertised for a farm in the Nonoti area and successfully leased an area of 600 acres. He experimented with maize, sweet potatoes, chillies, arrowroot and coffee and also established a trading store. Soon Liege Hulett commanded a flourishing business, which enabled him to purchase several farms in the area.
Liege Hulett took the name of his estate from an old village and medieval manor not far from Dover in Kent, England. The name derives from the French “Cressoniere” meaning a place where watercress is grown. The double-storied house with a small turret projecting above the roof level was erected on the highest point of the estate and built on the farm.
He created a place of peace and harmony which inspired others to improve and beautify their own estates. It was at this estate that he established a thriving tea estate, which was the foundation of the company Sir J.L. Hulett & Sons. This was also the start of his sugar empire.
During the period 1868 to 1887 the eight children of Liege Hulett and Mary Balcomb were all born at Kearsney. The boys became expert craftsmen and helped to build the homestead, while the girls helped in the house with sewing and other domestic chores.
Sir James Leige Hulett was a cabinet minister in a number of Natal Governments and was the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly in 1902 when he led the Natal delegation to the coronation of Edward VII and was knighted for his services to the Colony. Sir Liege then moved to Durban and the House remained vacant until 1921.
An ever open door
The House was a well-made and designed mansion with large, furnished reception rooms and 22 bedrooms. The home held an ever open door to passing travellers and on Sundays there would be great family gatherings after morning service.
There was a big staff of Indian servants. Liege Hulett was loved and respected by his Indian and African employees. When tea production ceased on this estate, the ornamental trees protecting the tea gardens were replaced with sugar cane.
Sir Liege imported many varieties of seeds and plants of a wide range of fruits – guavas, cloves, mangoes, apples etc, citrus of all kinds and planted orchards near the House.
A fortified refuge
During the Bombarta rebellion the pioneers of Natal lived under difficult and often dangerous conditions ... neighbours were few and far between. The estate was only nine miles from the Zulu border and in 1879 when war broke out, there was considerable alarm at the estate.
The Zulu impies raided within 15 miles of the home, carrying off and killing the cattle of friendly natives. The residence was fortified by means of a stockade and became the centre of resistance against the expected Zulu attack.
One day the alarm was given that the Zulus had crossed the river. All the neighbours, their children and their servants flocked into the laager, which remained in a state of siege, but was never attacked.
The Manor accommodates 46 guests in 18 beautifully appointed rooms.
For the budget sensitive guest, we offer 4 non-en-suite rooms. The rooms are tastefully decorated and super comfortable with a tea/coffee station inside each of the rooms. The luxurious his and her communal bathrooms are located 10m away from the rooms and offer our guests an option of either bath or shower facility, two toilets, and two hand basins.
Our en-suite rooms with their English colonial décor are very open and spacious. Our guests will feel as though they have been transported back into the 19th-century era with the antique finishes inside each bedroom. The luxurious bathrooms are accompanied by all the expected modern amenities and offer shower facilities in each room.
For the not so shy, we do have en-suite rooms with a more modern twist. Although still keeping with the old English colonial-style décor in the bedrooms, an open plan bedroom and bathroom layout is featured - ideal for a romantic getaway. They are all equipped with showers as well as a free standing ball & claw bath.
We also have en-suite rooms with multiple single beds (3 – 6 single beds in a room). Ideal for family getaways where you have a few teenagers wanting to spend time together and away from their parents.
We offer two extraordinary Executive Suites. Each one has a super comfortable king size bed and seating area in a bay window overlooking our well-manicured gardens - ideal to catch up on some reading. The large en-suite bathroom is equipped with double basin & vanity, shower and a free-standing ball & claw bath.
This is an ideal hideaway for any executive needing to prepare for meetings or have one on one discussions with his team in the comfortable lounge area which forms part of this large open plan room. The room is also our Honeymoon suite that we offer to our bridal party when hosting their wedding. The large bathroom boasts a double size walk in shower, oval corner bath and Double basin & vanity.
Chapel, venue, historic photo opportunities ... what more do you need?
We invite you to experience the historic atmosphere and colonial charm of our Manor.
Situated on an original sugar estate near Stanger, our Manor is an old English mansion built in the late 1800’s by Sir James Leige Hulett.
The Historic surrounds, beautiful views and the tranquillity of quiet country life is what makes Kearsney Manor one of the leading wedding venues on the KwaZulu-Natal North Coast.
Our beautiful old stone Chapel is over 100 years old and has been declared a Heritage Site. It is surrounded by sugar cane and boasts tremendous character and charm.
The chapel comfortably seats 110 people. For larger weddings, the ceremony can be held in our neatly manicured gardens.
Let them eat Cake!
Let our chef tantalize your taste buds with real hearty home cooked meals that will get the thumbs up from your Grandmother.
Come visit us and meet the passionate and very hospitable team that will ensure your special day is memorable for you and your guests.
We invite you to experience the historic atmosphere and colonial charm of our Manor, built by Sir James Leige Hulett in the late 1800’s and once home to the renowned College.
The Perfect Venue
Situated approximately 20 minutes north of Ballito with beautiful views and the tranquillity of quiet country life, our Manor is the perfect choice for your next conference, training seminar or teambuilding event.
Easy to Organise
A number of events can be arranged on your behalf, including:
…and a whole lot more, all at an additional cost.
Our conference room can be set up in various configurations to suit your needs.
Local and Nearby Attractions
Hiking in Harold Johnson Nature Reserve
The Harold Johnson Nature Reserve is situated north of Ballito on the banks of the Tugela River and north of Zinkwazi. The Harold Johnson Nature reserve offers a selection of hiking trails of varying distances. A small variety of wildlife is located on the reserve such as giraffe, zebra, bush-pig and antelope. Harold Johnson is known for its rich variety of butterflies and bird-life.
The Luthuli Museum is one of the many tributes to those who fought for the freedom and peace of a nation. The museum dedicated to this man is situated in the town of KwaDukuza-Stanger (formerly known as Groutville) in KwaZulu-Natal, right in the home that Chief Luthuli occupied in 1927.
Visit the King Shaka Memorial
A 20-minute slide show on the history of King Shaka can be viewed and there is also a small curio shop and an Interpretative Centre. Located in King Shaka Street, KwaDukuza-Stanger. Open daily from 8:30am to 4:00pm.
Salt Rock Beach
The palm-fringed Salt Rock Beach has great surf, beautiful off-shore reefs for diving and some good fishing spots. It's a popular family beach with picnic areas, showers and a massive tidal pool. Salt Rock Beach is protected by shark nets and fully trained lifeguards are on duty seven days a week from 6am until 5:30pm.
Located on the Tongaat River in sub-tropical bush and is home to over 7000 Nile crocodiles, alligators, caiman, snakes and other reptiles. The farm includes bush and hill trails, a waterfall, river plains, thatched buildings with tree top walkways & curios.
Ndlondlo Reptile Park
Located on the Asgard Estate in Ballito this reptile park does tailor-made tours to make it interesting for all age groups. Some of the reptiles that you can see are dragons, iquanas, monitors, snakes, tortoises and much more…
Amatikulu Nature Reserve
It is perfect for a day trip from Durban, Eshowe, Mtunzini or Richards Bay. The small reserve is situated on the coast between the Tugela and Amatikulu Rivers. It is one of the few places in Southern Africa where wildlife can be seen grazing on forested dunes overlooking the sea.
Explore the reserve in a canoe, 4X4 vehicle or on foot. The coastal forest grasslands and rivers attract numerous birds, including the rare African fin foot. Keen birders can hire trained bird guides from the local community. Giraffe, zebra, waterbuck and smaller antelope are frequently seen. The beach offers good surf angling. Open from 07:00 to 17:00.
Blythedale Beach is a massive stretch of beautiful sand, perfect for long walks, and a haven for water activities such as swimming and surfing.
Play a Round of Golf
We are in close proximity to Prince’s Grant Golf Estate, Darnall Country Club and Umhlali Country Club.